Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Understanding Dyslexia

The average person (including myself) thinks that Dyslexia is all about flipping letters around. It is so much more than that. The more reading I do, the more obvious it becomes.

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/parent/indication-of-dyslexia

#3 had many early indicators and indeed even received speech therapy as a toddler for being non-verbal. He also often got stuck on a word. It was like a record player skipping (Yes, I remember record players). He would start a sentence and when he got stuck, he just kept repeating the last word he spoke over and over again until he remembered the word he wanted or we helped him figure it out.

I had no idea that shoe tying could be a sign of Dyslexia either. In fact, he didn't learn to tie his shoes until 2nd grade. Even now, he can't get them as tight as he would like so we have shoes without laces or with elastic laces that don't require him to tie them and he still has independence.

Interestingly, both #2 and #3 were late walkers. They both dislike reading and writing and definitely still get mixed up with calendars and telling time.

Yet, they both have great senses of humor and a talent for sarcasm. I mean, if there was a test for this stuff, they'd be in the 99%th percentile. They have excellent memories. #3 can pull out random facts about topics at anytime. They both show talent in artistic endeavors like drawing and building things.

#2 has said that sometimes when she tries to read, the words seem to move around the page. I'm starting to think that she may see things in a 3 dimensional way: http://www.discoveringdyslexia.com/giveitatry1.html

#1 told me tonight that sometimes her letters and numbers flip around on her but she is able to double check things and they flip back. I told her that it sounded like a milder form of Dyslexia and that she seemed to be doing well so far but to let me know if this changes and she needs help.

My biggest job at this point is helping them with reading and writing but at their pace. At the same time, we have to reframe their thinking and ours! I tell #2 all the time that she isn't dumb or stupid but her brain works differently. Right now, I feel like I'm constantly pushing a boulder up a really, really high mountain!

2 comments:

  1. I get so frustrated when people, especially experts go on and on about how dyslexia is only reading. My oldest has some of the same challenges.
    Most dyslexics are visual learners, so we do a lot of hands on, visual fun stuff.

    I understand the feeling of pushing a boulder. It's great that you remind her that she learns differently and there's nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my 2 at home are most engaged with hands on learning. My daughter was actually moving along with book work but not really engaged unless we were hands on. With my son now at home, the book work is gone. He literally ran away from books and worksheets.
      But tonight, she talked about reading again so we will get back into reading practice.
      The intense focus of reading for competition at school really messed with her head. And, I kick myself for getting sucked into it!

      Delete