Saturday, November 8, 2014

Changing Direction

I'm in the process of planning how we are going to move forward in January. We have stopped all book work for the moment. I know many will laugh at the idea of a burnt out 8 year old but that's exactly what I feel like I'm seeing right now. Reading, music practice, cooking, shopping, field trips, science projects are all still happening. I'm also looking at ways to explore how holidays are celebrated in other countries. Funny thing is, #3 asked us how blood clots happen, then he sat and watched 5 or 6 you tube videos about blood, veins, and the clotting process. He also randomly wrote a poem while sitting at the table. So, there is hope!

While the items I have now should work for 2 kids (or more), it requires a lot more organization and planning on my part. So, I'm leaning towards a boxed curriculum. Funny thing is, I was looking at 1 and it goes by age range instead of grade level. Initially I considered the 7-9 level but we have done many of the science projects and reading projects for that level. Without realizing it, I recreated the major parts of that curriculum. So, the 8-10 range it is. I'm okay with helping with the reading and adjusting assignments,

With switching in January, that kind of puts us on a different schedule. If this curriculum works for us, then we'd either keep working through some of the summer or just pick up in the fall where we stop in June.


No comments:

Post a Comment