Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Finding Opportunities and Balance


Today, #2 took a craft class. The object is to make a Penny Rug in 6 weeks. She quickly decided on a pattern and drew the objects basically free hand. The instructor seemed impressed and I know I was impressed! I stayed with her this time but she is thinking about staying on her own (there are other students there) next week. I'm glad that the internet, email, and social media has given me the tools to find these opportunities for her to explore things.

While she did have art at her charter school, sewing and picking her own projects or having input into what she may or may not want to do was not an option.Or, input into the order of when she does things like math, reading, or science. This is the case at most schools. This is good and bad. There is whining and resistance from time to time as I have written before but I'm starting to see progress and that is awesome.

Thing #3 is beginning to have similar struggles in school. We are watching closely with the idea of possibly bringing him to homeschool durng the holiday break. The more I think about it, the more I like it. No more morning battles with him as he is not a morning dude. No stressing about test prep and they can work together on certain subjects. But, there is the question of whether he will work at home or not. I think he will but it will be an adjustment for everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment