Monday, October 27, 2014

Understanding and Adapting

I came across this HBO documentary this morning. I had it up on the computer while everyone finished up their morning routine. I didn't make the kids watch it with me but didn't hide it either. As I watched, #2 came up besides me and hugged me. We talk a lot about dyslexia and how her (and her brother's) brain works differently. Not stupid but different. "It isn't fair", she says. "Other kids can just read but I can't."
She's right and I tell her that this is the truth but it isn't an excuse. Everyone has something they struggle with. Then we refocus on what her strengths are: She is learning to sew. She can dance and do flips and many other things.
She becomes quiet as she watches kids on the monitor talk about their struggles and victories. Then, we moved on to doing our work. And, she did not cry when she made a mistake or squirm away when it was time to work on handwriting or phonics.
It was a good learning day for her.

Yet, I look back and wonder if we did enough. Should we have read 4 books instead of 3 at bedtime when she was 2? Instead of letting her watch cartoons sometimes, should we have just kept in on PBS all the time? Classical music instead of hip hop or rock? Would she be better off in a regular school environment? What happens if we decide to homeschool #3? Who has many of the same difficulties but a totally different personality.

I wonder.....

2 comments:

  1. anyhoo....

    it's easy to get bogged down on the road of "I wonder..." don't let yourself get stuck there. Celebrate your strengths and difference and be proud of your awesomeness as a parent!

    ReplyDelete